The Body Project
The Body Project is a cognitive-dissonance-based body acceptance intervention that was designed to help adolescent girls and young women resist sociocultural pressures to conform to the thin-ideal and reduce their pursuit of thinness.
The Body Project was formed in 2012 with a strong team holding over 27 years of experience. Together, they have brought the Body Project to over 100 college campuses across the country, and we are so excited to be able to bring it to you!
Being the Body Project to your Chapter
A facilitation of the Body Project can look a bunch of different ways. If you would like to coordinate something for your new members or new sisters, engage a couple of members from each class, or have women who are interested in signing up participate, we are okay with all of those things. If you are interested in having a facilitation of the Body Project come to your organization, please email the student coordinator or the Body Project advisor.
Body Project Details & Logistics
- The Body Project spans over two sessions, which are both just about two hours long
- The first and the second session typically are a week apart
- Groups will consist of 8-12 women with 2-3 peer facilitators per group
- We ask that you help us provide a safe and open space for your members to experience
- Breaks will be provided, and we recommend you provide snacks to the participants
- Topics that will be covered: body image, self-image, eating disorders, and effortless perfection. This comes in individualized reflection, group discussion and other forms.
- Please note, this is not a therapy group for those who have experienced disordered eating. As a result of Body Project research, a wide range of women participating (from those who live and have healthy body acceptance, to those who struggle) are more likely to have a positive impact on the whole.