The Interfraternity Council is made up of National Interfraternity Conference recognized organizations and other associated organizations. To learn more about the IFC and its member organizations, click here.
Joining a Fraternity during COVID-19
Fraternities will bring in new members in fall 2020, however recruitment will look different than in previous semesters as IFC chapters will be hosting primarily virtual recruitment events.
View frequently asked questions about fraternity/sorority membership during COVID-19 by clicking here.
Chapters will be hosting their informational sessions and other large-scale recruitment events virtually, likely through video conferencing platforms like Zoom. There will also likely be opportunities to interact with current chapter members through one-on-one in-person recruitment conversations.
If you are engaging in in-person small scale or one-on-one recruitment events, we ask that you adhere to the following health guidelines:
- Monitor your health daily and stay home if you are sick or exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face covering or mask.
- Maintain a physical distance by keeping at least six feet distance between you and others.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (or use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol).
- Avoid physical contact with others and with frequently touched surfaces like doorknobs, tables, etc.
Please continue to refer to this page as we will add additional information about fall recruitment, including recruitment event schedules, in the coming weeks.
What is Fraternity Recruitment?
Recruitment is a process in which fraternities and prospective members get to meet one another and explore their membership options. All of the fraternities at Colorado State University recruit year round in a process called “365 recruitment,” meaning that you can reach out to an active member at any point to learn more about their organization. As a part of 365 recruitment, chapters hold large scale recruitment events at the beginning of both fall and spring semesters. These events are designed to introduce active fraternity members to the potential new members to build relationships.
Fraternities are values based organizations and throughout your recruitment process we encourage you to make decisions based on your personal beliefs and values so you can find a fraternity that you will be proud to be a member of for a lifetime. Active members of fraternities will decide which potential new members demonstrate qualities that align with the values of their organization while the prospective members will get to meet many different fraternities and can choose an organization that parallels their personal beliefs and values. Most chapters host activity-based, large-scale recruitment events. Common events include: athletic events, hikes, dinners, service events, and informational sessions. At all of these events it is important to have conversations with active brothers to get a better sense of the organization.
Are there Requirements or Expectations for Joining a Fraternity?
There are eligibility requirements and basic expectations for joining any fraternity on CSU’s campus. In general, each fraternity has certain eligibility requirements and basic expectations such as GPA requirements, financial expectations, behavioral expectations, and basic attendance requirements. Although all fraternities have eligibility requirements and basic expectations, they vary greatly from chapter to chapter. We encourage you to ask questions about chapter specific requirements at recruitment events and throughout your recruitment conversations.
How to Register for Recruitment
In order to participate in the IFC recruitment progress you must fill out a short informational sheet (Interested in Joining Form) found on the Colorado State University Fraternity and Sorority Life website as well as register for recruitment online on your computer on the Chapter Builder website.
- Joining a fraternity is a major decision and one that can have a lasting impact on your collegiate experience and post-graduate life. Each chapter has a set of core values providing the basis for their organization. Because of this, we highly recommend that you look at as many fraternities as you can in order to determine which one may best align with your personal values and be the best life-long fit for you.
- Joining a fraternity is a great opportunity offered to students at CSU, so take your time while making a decision to join. There are over twenty fraternities recognized by the Interfraternity Council on the CSU campus. They will all be working very hard to show prospective members what their organization is all about.
- At the beginning of each semester, chapters host large-scale recruitment events at many different locations. We urge you to go to as many as you can. A list of these events can be found on our website as well as on CampusDirector. If looking at our website, go to fsl.colostate.edu and click the scroll down to the area that says “FSL Events” where you will be able to see all of the large scale chapter events and when they will be held. Another great way to see what events are occurring is to look at the CampusDirector website after you have registered. You then can see a list of events, times, and locations.
- Ask questions! Get all the information you need to make an informed decision. Make sure you ask about eligibility requirements and basic expectations as financial, academic, behavioral, and attendance requirements vary from chapter to chapter.
- Remember you can always reach out to the IFC Executive Board and the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life if you have any questions.